Teaching Young Artists (TYA) is Drama Learning Center’s Professional Training Program. This Friday, TYA will present the area premiere of new American musical, Hands on a Hardbody. Based on a 1997 documentary film by the same name, the show follows the 1995 competition in which ordinary people competed to win a pickup truck by seeing who could keep their hand on it for the longest amount of time. Get to know a little more about the story now with five fast facts about the documentary.
- Film director S. R. Bindler is from Longview, Texas, where the “Hands on a Hardbody” competition took place annually.
- Each year, 24 contestants competed in this endurance competition. Whoever lasted the longest without leaning on the truck or squatting won.
- Five-minute breaks were issued every hour. 15-minute breaks were issued every six hours.
- The 1995 competition depicted in the film lasted 77 hours.
- The documentary garnered many awards from international film festivals from 1997-1999.
With a thoroughly American score infused with country, rock, and gospel music, this theatrical retelling of a “human drama thing” is sure to capture your hearts. There are only six performances of this exciting new work, so grab your tickets today while you still can!Buy Tickets Today